Course: Main Course
1.5kg pork shoulder (bone in or out) with a thick fat layer.
A roasting rack and deep tray.
1 pint of water 2 large onions.
BBQ Rub Ingredients
•2 tablespoons/30 mL salt
•2 tablespoons/30 mL sugar
•2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
•2 tablespoons/30 mL ground cumin
•2 tablespoons/30 mL chili powder
•2 tablespoons/30 mL freshly ground black pepper
•1 tablespoon/15 mL cayenne pepper
•1/4 cup/60 mL paprika
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Yield: Makes about 1 cup/240 mL
Sauce Best made day before
•1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
•1/2 cup ketchup
•1/2 cup water
•1 tablespoon sugar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 8 minutes Total Time: 18 minutes
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well; use as a dry rub on beef, chicken, lamb or pork. Take the pork out of the packaging and dry well. Rub the Seasoning into the pork, ensuring it gets deep into the score marks on the fat. Leave to marinade overnight.
• Heat the oven to 200 degrees
• Place the joint on a roasting rack or layer of onions. Add a little water to the bottom of the tray, not allowing it to touch the meat. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
• After 20 minutes reduce the temperature to 160 degrees for 3 hours. Every 30 minutes top up the water a little if required.
• After the 3 hours remove the pork from the oven, leave in the tray and cover with foil for 1 hour.
• Once cooled, fork the meat into shreds.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for several days, allowing the flavours to blend.
Yield: Makes About 2 1/2 Cups
• Serve on bread rolls of your choice with coleslaw, adding a little more chilli for an extra chilli hit.