Brioche Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce. A leftover half-loaf of brioche can yield the most rich, yet easy bread pudding, taken over the top with homemade salted caramel sauce. You know how on cooking competition shows like Chopped, whenever they do the dessert round, someone invariably makes a bread pudding? This bread pudding with bourbon sauce recipe is a reader favorite, and for good reason.
This Bread Pudding with Warm Vanilla Sauce was inspired by our cruise aboard Oasis of the Seas. The warm vanilla sauce is spectacular, yet quick and easy to make. Geoffrey Smeddle uses brioche in this bread and butter pudding recipe to give a luxurious twist to this classic winter warmer. You can cook Brioche Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Brioche Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- It’s 1 loaf of Brioche Bread (about 8 cups when cubed).
- Prepare 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 5 of eggs.
- Prepare 2 cups of milk.
- Prepare 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of Caramel Sauce.
- You need 1/2 cup of light brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of half and half (or 2T cream/2T milk).
- Prepare 2 tbs of butter.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of salt.
A delectable bread pudding is baked with a rich layer of caramel sauce on the bottom. The pudding is flipped like an upside-down cake to let the caramel sauce drip down. Bread pudding with its own caramel sauce. The only thing else needed is maybe some ice cream.
Brioche Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish with butter, or spray with nonstick spray. My dish measures about 8×11 or so. (9×13 is too big for this in my opinion). Arrange bread cubes in baking dish to fit snug together and as evenly layered as possible..
- Wisk together sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until well combined. Pour evenly over bread in baking dish. Using the back of a spatula gently press bread down into liquid. Let sit 15-20 minutes for bread to soak up a good amount of the liquid. Press down gently once more (do not "squish")..
- Place in oven. Bake uncovered 45-55 minutes, or until just set in the center and top is golden (mine was 50 minutes). If edges start to brown too much you can loosely cover them with foil, but do not cover the dish completely (you'll get a soggy top)..
- While baking, make your caramel sauce. In a small sauce pan over medium heat wisk together brown sugar and half & half. When it starts to steam wisk in butter until melted. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, wisking constantly so not to burn. You are looking for it to thicken slightly and turn a nice "caramel" color (it will thicken even more as it cools). Remove from heat and set aside..
- When bread pudding is finished remove from oven. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top. Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting to serve hot. Or let cool completely then cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight and serve cold. This is how we like it, and frankly I find it tastes best this way!.
I imagine apples warmed in caramel sauce will make a lovely topping for this most delicious bread pudding. Just some quick notes here about the recipe The recipe for the bread pudding itself is quite simple and so long as the brioche you purchase is baked in a standard loaf pan and you can. Pour over brioche; press down lightly on brioche to submerge into custard. Combine caramel sauce, cream, and rum in medium glass bowl. To serve, spoon a puddle of caramel onto each dessert plate.